Thursday, September 22, 2016

Tuba Bell Engraving

My first tuba bell engraving!  In case you can't see it too well, the design is of an art nouveau-style woman's profile with her hair flowing around the curve of the bell.





It was so much fun to do this design, the metal was very soft and easy to engrave.  It was the first time I put together a complete/uniform composition vs. doing little "doodles" here and there throughout the instrument.

This tuba got donated to a local middle school; hope it brings joy to lots of students who end up playing it in marching band!


Time to complete: 8 hours

Wednesday, September 21, 2016

State Flower Tattoo for Myself

Back in September of 2015, I designed myself a tattoo that included the state flowers for all three states I've lived in:


The state flowers are orange blossom (Florida), rose (New York) and dogwood (North Carolina).  It's been a decade and a half since my first tattoo, so this was an exciting and fun project to work on!

Below are photos of the completed tattoo (I decided to keep it in simple black ink):





Total time: 3.5 hours

Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Open Source Saxophone Project Logo/Sticker

My husband Matt started a new project called the Open Source Saxophone Project.  Below is the logo/sticker that I designed for him:



Just so you can see the design process, I've included his original drawing:


Check out the website here!

Total time taken to design: 3.5 hours

Monday, September 19, 2016

More Miscellaneous Saxophone Engravings

Here are some more engraving practice projects I've completed so far this year:





Below is my first attempt at re-engraving.  The metal was extremely hard/brittle, so lots of slippage!



Time taken to complete: 15 hours total

Sunday, September 18, 2016

Praying Mantis Tattoo

Another tattoo design request!  Below are the drawings (black & white and color versions) for a praying mantis design:




And here's the mantis outline on my friend's arm!


Once it's colored in, I'll post an update photo (possibly sometime in November).


Time taken to design and draw: 3.5 hours

Saturday, September 17, 2016

Crocheted Stag Head

I've always wanted a stuffed stag head for my house, but didn't want to go out and kill a deer and then learn how to taxidermy it.  Compulsive crocheting to the rescue!



 




The pattern for this stag head can be found in Vanessa Mooncie's awesome book, Animal Heads.  Check out her other books, too, they're all great!


Time to complete: 23 hours

Friday, September 16, 2016

First Completely Engraved Saxophone

Starting around 2014, I began teaching myself how to engrave saxophones.  In May of 2015, I completed my first "junk" saxophone:




I couldn't resist inserting a bit of a joke:



Time taken to complete: 20 - 30 hours (sharpening gravers takes a lot of time!)

Thursday, September 15, 2016

State Flower Tattoo Design

I recently designed this full-arm tattoo for a friend:


The flowers included in this design are the Syringa (Idaho), Rhododendron (Washington), Bitterroot (Montana), Yellow Jessamine (South Carolina) and Dogwood (North Carolina).

Here's what it looks like with the simple black ink outline done:




The flowers are life-size and represent each year that she's lived in a specific state.  Here's the tattoo with some beautiful color added:



This design was so much fun to draw!  I'm so grateful to my friend for asking me to do this project for her, thank you!



Time taken to design: 4.5 hours

Friday, January 29, 2016

Crocheted Hat & Scarf Set

Earlier this week I made a scarf & hat set for my almost-two-year-old daughter: 



Here she is proudly modeling it!



The pattern for the hat can be found here (I made it using multiples of 6 vs 8 to fit her smaller head), and the scarf is just alternated single crochet/double crochet rows 10 stitches across.  The yarn is Lamb's Pride Bulky in Lotus Pink.


Time taken to make for hat: 1 hour
Time taken to make scarf: 1.5 hours

Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Handmade Shirts

I've decided to try my hand at making clothes for my son now that he's not outgrowing his stuff so quickly!  Using my husband's old shirts (I guess the hip term is "upcycling") plus some iron-on transfers, I made him two different raw-edged raglan tees.

This is the one he calls his "spaceman shirt":


And here is the "bird shirt":


The graphic on the above shirt is connected to one of my favorite Google searches, "birds with arms":


If you've made a few simple clothing items using a sewing machine, this project might be slightly challenging but not super-difficult (no serger required, either, just a zigzag stitch function).  You can find the pattern and instructions in the book Sewing for Boys.


Time taken to make each shirt: 3 hours